background

Monday, August 16, 2010

Wedding Shower Pomander


I saw this neat pomander (http://www.oncewed.com/7591/diy-wedding/flowers/diy-wedding-pomander/ )and since I'm having a shower for my daughter's upcoming wedding I thought I would give it a try.  I made mine a little smaller than they did but the basic idea is pretty much the same.  I didn't use two flowers on each pin but I think it turned out fine.

First, I used the same scrapbooking paper I did for the bird's wings on her shower invitations.  I cut the 12x12 paper into 1 1/4" strips and got 9 - 10 strips per sheet.


Then, I used my five petal flower punch from EK Success to punch out 10 - 11 flowers per strip.



Then, I used the rounded end of a pen and the squishy thing on my computer to curve the flowers up a bit.  I have seen this done with a different tool that has a ball on the end but I can't think of what it's called right now.  What you do is take the pen and place it in the center of the flower then pushing down and rolling it in a small circle on the pad.  I think you could use pretty much anything that was squishy and gave way.  It causes the edges to push up and become 3 dimensional.



I was able to get about 100 flowers from a single sheet of paper which was enough for one ball with a few left over.

Then, I used 1/4" ribbon to wrap a styrofoam ball.  Each ball took a complete spool of ribbon that had 10 yards on it.  I got mine from Wal-mart for 99cents a piece.  I used stick pins to hold the top and bottom of the ribbon down.



Then I put the flowers on, randomly, with a pin in each one.



And....voila!  You're done!  So far I've made 5 and still have one more to do.  My daughter liked them so much after she saw the first one she asked me to make 6 of them.  She's planning to have them hanging on the rows of chairs down the center isle during her ceremony.  :o)

All in all, I think each ball cost about $5.  Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment